After working through a few variations, see below, I was unable to get #7 to look smooth; the ‘camo’ aesthetic persists, even with much smaller learning rates and more iterations. I’ve decided to remove this from the running for the final selections.
I’ve also included an interesting error here for future reference, shown below. This occurred when I used a learning rate of 2 (where the max should be 1), which caused the neighbourhood function to wrap around in the middle of each neighbourhood. This causes an interesting aesthetic that reminds me of photography through water droplets on glass where spots of focus (lack of re-organization) punctuate areas of order (re-organization) due to lensing effects.